The area currently known as New Caney was originally settled along the Farm Road 1485 and Highway 59 junction in 1862 by Austin and Sarah Presswood, who are known as New Caney's founders.
The Presswoods settled the area to raise cattle on the open and undeveloped land of the "Big Thicket".
Upon settling the area, the Presswoods named the town Presswood, Texas
, however that name was later changed to New Caney
Austin and Sarah Presswoods' graves can still be found within the Presswood Cemetery