About New Caney:
New Caney is an unincorporated area North of Houston
and south of Conroe, TX located within Montgomery County
New Caney is centered along the junction of Farm Road 1485 and Highway 59.
The area was originally settled in the early 1860s by Austin and Sarah Presswood
, who name the town "Presswood, TX
Naming of New Caney:
The name Presswood was changed in the late 1800s.
By 1877 the East and West Texas railroad
had arrived, and imports and exports thrived, in particular through livestock trade.
The new railroad station was named "Caney Station
," and by 1882 the town's new post office had registered under the
new name of "New Caney,"
and so Presswood fell out of use.
The term "Caney" came from the dense canebrakes
(sugarcane-like thickets) growing around Caney Creek.
New Caney was still a small town of about 40 dwellings by the mid 1900s, however the town continued to grow
as new businesses developed. The area has grown rapidly since the 1980s as people are able to quickly and easily
commute into downtown Houston.
There are no exact boundaries or definition of what makes up the New Caney area, however the 77357 zip code boundary
covers most of what is considered the Greater New Caney area, and the 2010 Federal Census counts roughly
20,000 people living within this zip code area.